ELIGIBILITY AND LETTERING REQUIREMENTS
All students who wish to participate in Hellgate Tennis must be in good academic standing with the school. Beginning with the 2010-2011 school year, MCPS adopted new policies regarding athletic participation and it is the responsibility of each student-athlete to be aware of their academic progress throughout the spring sports season. Each student-athlete must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 without an “F” in any class at any time!
Every two weeks, the coaching staff (based on data provided by our administration) will review each student’s academic standing to determine their eligibility for the next two week period. It is a privilege to be a member of the Hellgate Tennis Program and the expectations are high; on the court, in the community and in the classroom.
In order to earn a Varsity Letter for Hellgate Tennis, certain requirements must be met.
1. The student-athlete must maintain a minimum GPA above 2.5
2. The student-athlete must be a member of the Hellgate Varsity Tennis Team*
3. The student-athlete must participate in at least 50% of Hellgate’s Varsity matches
4. As long as # 1 is met, a student-athlete automatically qualifies if they are selected to the year-end Western AA Divisional line-up.
5. Special Considerations: The coaching staff may decide to award a Varsity Letter to a student-athlete that does not meet all of the above requirements (#1 is non-negotiable). Our program established this precedent in 2010 as some boys were awarded letters based on exceptional performances on and off the court despite not being “official” members of the Varsity Team. The coaching staff reserves the right to evaluate special circumstances on an individual basis each season to determine any potential additional candidates for lettering.